CAPTAIN MARVEL SUMMARY REVIEW

I'd give it a B+! 
SPOILERS!!


I enjoyed it, and I'm glad I didn't know about any super-spoilers before seeing it.
The initial battle was handled very well, I liked the setup of StarForce, and I hope that some of them get to be seen again someday.
It sucks that there is such a glaringly obvious trashing campaign going on, this has become an "epidemic" (and of course last year it was Black Panther), good lord. 
The flashbacks during Carole's initial capture were, for me, possibly the most "confusing" but I didn't particularly have trouble keeping up after that.
I would have wanted more hang-out time and general exploration time for Carole and Nick.  Maybe expand the plot's time-frame to her being on Earth several weeks as opposed to a few days (seemingly?)  I know this had to be roughly 2 hours, though.  I had thought that maybe exposing her to her and Maria's karaoke song would help jar her memory, lol.  I had thought they might end up at a blues bar in Louisiana at one point.
Annette Benning is Mar-Vell?  Ah.  Didn't see that coming.  Intriguing gender-swap, and maybe the most "radical" for the MCU, even though the general public has no idea who Mar-Vell originally was, lol.  (Though I can also kind of see some folks being a little confused at the Lawson-image-as-Supreme-Intelligence, since Lawson/Mar-Vell died in t he flashback but was torturing her during the third act).
Was Carole's mother even glimpsed at all?  I forget.  I remember seeing her dad in the flashbacks, though.
I found nothing objectionable about Ms. Larson's performance. I'm not all that familiar with her other movies, though, so the quirks that other folks have focused on are neither here nor there with me.
I did note the "hey why don't you smile?" aside-- I wonder was that done in reshoots?  I remember that micro-controversy on the forums.. lol..
Glad to see a solid portrayal of Maria here as a kind of proto-Monica.  And of course, she lives until the end!! (woo-hoo!)
There's obviously no excuse not to eventually have Monica eventually become (whatever name they choose, my pick is Dr. Spectrum, if they have adult Monica as a scientist before "whatever" gives her powers happens).
The film had a lot more humor than I was expecting, though it didn't come across as campy, fortunately.  I can't help but to think that the Supergirl TV show, Melissa Benoist's performance has had some influence.
Sympathetic skrulls blew my wig back, along with the veiled war refugees metaphor.  The lead guy ended up being fun to watch. 
 Interesting, though I suppose there's always room in future movies for some rogue factions to "continue the war" and be traditional villains.  And it never was explicitly revealed just how the homeworld was destroyed.
Ah-- Yon Rogg clearly wasn't killed at the end (fortunately), so I guess the window's open for him to come back in a future adventure.
I was expecting that Fury would get his eye shot by laser-fire, but for the way that they handled it, lol-- oh well-- My guess is if Fury didn't know what a Flerken could do he'd have tried to take a pistol to the thing himself after the scratch.. And of course, where the heck is the thing now, since it became Fury's pet?  Hmm...
I presume part 2 will take place in the present day-- or what if it doesn't, I wonder what villain(s) or threat they could use. Maybe it could be a space adventure, though that would seemingly leave little room for Fury to tag along.

I still hope for a Fury solo movie someday. (Spike Lee directing?)  We’ll see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Currie Writing Work Sample: Community Board Annual Report, Monthly Minutes