Insurance Card, Please
A few days before Christmas of 2016, I stopped by an urgent care health clinic, so I could attempt to get some clarity on what was going on with my legs and hands.  I learned that the tingles in my lower legs—which I was now feeling in my left hand—was a result of diabetic neuropathy.  The nerve endings in my extremities were now becoming damaged, and it was leaving a permanent state of “edginess” in my feet and hands.  Worse—after a fashion—I was now finding that my driving foot would start falling asleep when I would drive, sometimes mere minutes after I got started with a trip.  For well over a year at that point I was wearing these stockings that reportedly help manage circulation better.  Only it wasn’t really getting better.
I made the choice that I needed to get healthier.  Part of that was going to involve exercise.  Back in 2013, a Planet Fitness workout center opened up in a shopping plaza near Eight Mile and Woodward Avenue in Detroit.  I had occasionally thought about joining a gym, but I was reluctant based on the idea that it might be expensive, plus, there are scarcely any workout gyms located in Detroit proper.  I finally made the choice to go to this Planet Fitness and sign up.  I then began going to the gym on a recurring basis.  It was tough at first, because I hadn’t regularly exercised in years.  I remember at one point only being able to use a stair-walking machine at a low setting for 15 minutes.  I also was using some weight machines at low settings.
In the meanwhile, I was also adjusting my diet.  Somewhat abruptly, I stopped drinking soda pop.  I had already only been drinking diet pop for years now, but I was told that diet pop had much of the same chemicals as regular pop to affect your weight.  I started drinking mostly unsweetened tea and diet non-carbonated beverages.  Oh, and I drank lots more water as well.  I stopped eating ice cream as well as candy.  I started buying less red meat and more fruits and vegetables.  I began to look at apples as near-lifesaving.  Something was still happening to me that was unpleasant, however. 
Liza asked me to help her husband to the airport.  That day, I had worked the morning shift.  I arrived home around 3 p.m. and got off work at 2:30 in the afternoon.  I hadn’t eaten breakfast (since I began working at the police station, I head rarely eaten before I left out), and to my memory, when I got home I prepared something for myself like macaroni and cheese with some green peas added to it.
I think Liza’s husband’s flight was to be around 10 p.m., so he had to be dropped off at the airport by 9 p.m. at the latest.  I had to drive to the east side of town to pick up Liza and her husband.  From there, I got on the I-94 highway heading to Detroit Metro Airport.  By the time we arrived at the airport, I was feeling uneasy.  Even though I had eaten a perfunctory meal in the afternoon, I hadn’t eaten dinner yet.  Driving back to Detroit from the airport, I was now increasingly agitated internally. By the time we got back to the east side of town, I started going through convulsions while I was driving.  I had to pull off the road into a gas station.  I then exited the car and began walking into the convenience store area. I bought a bag of popcorn and a soft drink.  My hands and feet were clenching together, and my stomach was increasingly tightening.  It was a severe challenge to get my money out of my wallet.  I could feel my mouth and jaw muscles clenching.
I told Liza she would have to drive.  She took the driver’s seat and began driving me to a nearby hospital on the east side of town, a Beaumont facility in Grosse Pointe.  When we finally arrived, I could barely talk.  My hands were almost completely clenched and I could feel the same way in my toes.  When I was finally stabilized, it was a relief, though not by much.  I couldn’t help but think about how my mother would react, as she was out of town in Dallas, visiting family.
I ended up being admitted, and stayed for three days.  In the meanwhile, I was given an altered diet of lower-calorie, lower-sugar foods.  I was given a diagnosis of ‘myalgia’, which, if I’m understanding it correctly, has to do with fatigue poisons being built up in one’s musculature, leading to—some of the symptoms that happened to me.
Even after being discharged, I was now severely depressed on my new physical reality: now I was going to be “forced” to eat something (substantive) at regular intervals or face my own body’s internal wrath at being deprived.  It was absolutely dismal.  I continued with going to a gym to exercise on a recurring basis.  I soon was relegated to an afternoon shift as my permanent work shift, which meant that most of my mornings were free.  I had long been in the habit of skipping breakfast.  Now I was eating something for breakfast every day.  Usually a breakfast cereal of some kind, and occasionally supplemented by fruit.  Lunchtime was another matter.  If I had errands to run (either on my own behalf or with my mom) then I’d often wait until I was out until I came back home to eat something at home.  I began eating fast food less, generally.  I dearly loved the Southwest cuisine ‘themed’ places (e.g., Taco Bell, Del Taco--- not that either of them are remotely authentic in their offerings.) 
A year later, I’ve lost well over 80 pounds.  I don’t regret getting into a habit of exercising regularly, I just wish I had done this years earlier.  I’m still dealing with the neuropathy, though I’m taking medicines that keep it somewhat at a minimal level.  In the meanwhile, I’ve given away much of the clothing I’d accumulated over the years.  For sentimental reasons I’ve kept many of the t-shirts I’ve acquired.  I’ve had to buy entirely new sets of pants, however.  I’m still not fully on-board with the “skinny jeans” trend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Currie Writing Work Sample: Community Board Annual Report, Monthly Minutes